Monday, April 8, 2019

26A) Celebrating Failure


This semester all my classes are online, therefore, I don’t have a strict schedule to do things. Rather, I can choose when and where study and make assignments. I thought it would be an easy semester because of how discipline I am, but I turned out wrong. What I thought would be the best of the semester -flexible schedule and freedom- were a double-edged sword. I have to say that I have failed to be constant and stay motivated during the semester.

I have learned that the mind is an incredible tool and that it all depends on how you train it. It is out nature as human beings to be constantly challenged, and the name for it is eustress, which refers to the optimal level of stress where we are the most productive. The graph for stress level (x-axis) and productivity (y-axis) is an inverted U. Under too much or too little stress our mind doesn’t function at its best. That is what happened to me. Because I don’t have tight deadlines or mandatory in-person classes, I lack the motivation to wake up early or study on my own schedule.

At the beginning of the semester I knew that it would be important that I create my own routine, therefore, I decided to follow a regular bedtime (where I go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. It worked for a little while, but soon I would start to “make exceptions” that became the new norm. I struggled to be effective and started spending some time trying to fix my situation. I tried some vacations to recover mentally, tried changing the routine, adding more workouts, but nothing really worked. I still wasn’t able to open my eyes when the alarm went off, instead I would turn it off and keep sleeping. The result was a self-fulfilling prophecy, where I would wake up late, not study enough, spend more time in other things to entertain myself, not getting the best grades, stressing about it, going to sleep later every day, and so on and so forth.  Falling in a small depression. I realized that, even though, people would give advises to change my situation, it ultimately depended on me. Thus, I started doing more intellectual activities to train my brain and boost my self-esteem and discipline. I have to say that it has been better lately, but I still need to improve, and I am on my way to getting there.

It definitely changed my perspective on failure. I now understand the role of risk taking and failure in life. By using those two properly, we can go from making a plan and set goals, and transform those in achievement and success without the fear of failing on the way. I am now more likely to assimilate risks and take opportunities that would challenge me and make me realize that I need to improve.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Enrique,
    I found your post extremely relatable as all of my classes were online this semester too. I can agree that it is definitely difficult to stay motivated and to stay on tasks by keeping up with all of my assignments. I admire your strategy to create a routine for yourself to stay active and to make sure that you complete all of your work. I hope you continue to stay motivated and do well on your future assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Enrique,

    I also have a few online classes, so since there is no set time I’ll make excuses to push back when I watch lectures or do assignments and it is definitely a bad habit. However, maybe you can learn from this and balance your schedule with a mix of more in person classes next fall so that you will have a stricter schedule and after those classes you can delegate time to work on your online classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Enrique,
    I can definitely relate to this challenge. 4 of my 5 classes are online, which means I have a lot of time on my hands, too. Sometimes I can be really productive, and other times, I'm not productive at all. Similarly to you, I tried to make a schedule but ended up staying up super late, sleeping in really late, and then not having time to get through assignments during the day. It's tough to find a balance, but at least you've learned from this experience and adjust your schedule next semester based off what you went through this semester. Overall, great post, I enjoyed reading about your experience as it related a lot to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel you on this one. All my classes are online as well and it definitely was a struggle to keep up with a stay motivated. I do enjoy that I can work at my own pace but at the same time why is it that a top 10 university is basically using a system of YouTube videos paired with online modules. It does not seem very prestige.

    ReplyDelete