Monday, April 1, 2019

23A) Unfair Advantage


1.      Customer service experience. So far, all my work experience is related to customer service, and I have excelled at my job.
·        Valuable: I think it is a valuable resource because this tells me that it will be a strong factor to differentiate myself, and to gain and retain customers.
·        Rare: It is not a rare quality, since many people can have customer service experience.
·        Imitable: No, customer service experience is easy to acquire and learn, but it takes time to understand the different possible situations
·        Non-substitutable: Yes, I think it cannot be substituted because it is a service business, which means that customer service is one of the pillars for the success of the company.
2.      Direct and personal customer service. Since it is a small company, I will be able to have a more personal and fast approach to customer service.
·        Valuable: Yes, I would say it is not the most important quality, but it adds up with other resources to increase customer satisfaction.
·        Rare: No, it is common to see companies that have many ways to communicate with their clients, but the bigger the company, the harder it becomes to keep this trait.
·        Imitable: No, everything it takes is to pay a person (or more) to only take care of communicating with customers.
·        Non-substitutable: There have been may tries to substitute this with automatic phone messages, and computerized responses (on the phone or online), but I would say that it hasn’t been that successful.
3.      Easy to approach my target market. Since I live in the same town, and I fulfil the characteristics of the segment I am targeting, it is easier for me to understand my clients, get in touch with them.
·        Valuable: Partially, like at said before, it is not my main strength, but it adds up with the rest to give a better competitive advantage.
·        Rare: In my area I would say that yes, the only housekeeping services that exist are managed by people in their 30’s and older, and they don’t target the same market.
·        Imitable: It is copied by having a founder/chief sharing many similarities with customers or by adding diversity to the staff, which is more effective in bigger companies.
·        Non-substitutable: yes, it cannot be substituted.
4.      Openness to listen to customer requests. I aim to differentiate my service by making it more personal, therefore, taking into account requests and suggestions
·        Valuable: yes, college students tend to be very diverse in what they want and like. It will help me maintain a higher customer satisfaction.
·        Rare: Yes, usually these types of business have a rigid structure that allows them to reduce the human error and be more efficient.
·        Imitable: It can be copied but it increases cost
·        Non-substitutable: No, it is a capability that is offered or not.
5.      Lack of direct competitors. There are similar services to mine in Gainesville, but the difference is that they don’t target the same segment.
·        Valuable: Yes, I think it is one of the most valuable qualities I have right now.
·        Rare: Yes, usually the lack of competitors is not often in a country like USA, specially in a industry with low entrance barriers.
·        Imitable: Yes, could be imitable, but it requires to forgo a greater profit margin, at east for a period of time.
·        Non-substitutable: No, it is a very important aspect.
6.      Narrow target market. I have a very specific description of the demographics of my customers
·        Valuable: Yes, this trait allows me to be in a market without direct competitors
·        Rare: No, usually companies try to target a narrow market segment. The problem is when it overlaps with other companies.
·        Imitable: Yes, but what makes it harder is that to target my same market segment means to forgo great profit margins (which I did to be able to solve the need of thousands of students)
·        Non-substitutable: Yes, because the characteristics of students sharing apartment is completely different to adults and families living in their own home.
7.      Even though I seek a narrow segment of the population (local students in Gainesville, living in apartment complexes and sharing apartment), it is the predominant demographic in the area.
·        Valuable: Yes, I focused in that segment, which is hard to sell to due to financial limitations, but it is a huge segment here in Gainesville
·        Rare: It is rare for housekeeping services, but not for other business.
·        Imitable: Yes, but again, it brings costs and profits to the discussion table
·        Non-substitutable: No, it is key to my success.
8.      Cost efficient structure. I plan to approach a system where I only target apartment complexes and condos, which saves me time and travel expenses. Also, it means that my responsiveness will be better, and it will be free advertising.
·        Valuable: Yes, it is basically the key to my business model. It is what allows me to target this tough market segment and keep the competition away. It also triggers other key qualities.
·        Rare: Yes, it has not been done by any other housekeeping service in town
·        Imitable: It could be copied, but not by itself, it requires the price of the service to be low, so college students pay for it.
·        Non-substitutable: No, it is the most important element to keep costs low.
9.      Low price supplier. My price is $40-55 a month per person, while competitors charge about $65 an hour. I am able to do this thanks to my business model.
·        Valuable: Yes, it is valuable to be able to sell to my customers, but at the same time it is the reason why my profit margins are low.
·        Rare: Yes, I mentioned before other companies’ prices and they are way higher.
·        Imitable: To be copied, companies need to make changes to their structure.
·        Non-substitutable: Yes, it cannot be substituted because it means that students will not be able to pay for it.
10.   Diversification of services. I plan to expand my business to offer other services, like a mobile car wash, and probably some chores like the purchase of basics for the apartment.
·        Valuable: Yes, it will add value to the company, specially if I know how to manage the expansion, if I can be effective targeting the correct customers and creating more dependency of customer on my company
·        Rare: Not really, it is something that I have seen other companies do (but not the car wash though)
·        Imitable: Yes, it is imitable, in fact, I am copying it from other companies.
·        Non-substitutable: No, it is something that is decided by the owner of the company and depends om the market research done.

My most important characteristic is how I shaped my business model, to have a cost-effective structure. By targeting specific people, in specific places. By having this specific structure, I am able to deliver an outstanding service at a low price (even lower than competitors) and is the main reason why I can offer this to college students. Also, it is key to the success of my diversification plan since I will have big groups of clients in the same place.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Enrique. Well done on your ventures unfair advantage post. You make clear and valuable insights into how your venture has an advantage over competitors. Personally, I think one of your most valuable advantages is your experience in customer service. My personal view and talking from my past experience, is that customer service is a crucial advantage and its absolutely vital in success for any business or organisation. However, that being said I think your low-cost business structure is also effective because people do love value for money! Great reflection on your advantage over competitiors and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Enrique,
    Great job on your post. You have a well put together list of important resources that are crucial in the development of your venture. I definitely agree with you that your most important characteristic is how you shaped your business model to be cost-effective. This is a very important facet and your businesses success depends on it. Your other resources are also very interesting in necessary when growing a profitable business. Overall, wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Enrique,
    I think you did a terrific job of explaining your unfair advantage. I agree that targeting specific people in specific places is the most important characteristic for your service as your service will be needed and wanted much more by people who can afford the service and specifically are college students who do not have enough time in their schedules. Overall, great job on describing the value, rareness, and imitability of your service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning,
    I think that your idea is one that is full of value and opportunity that can be achieved with your ability to work hard and create a network of customers. I think that definitely you have a great opportunity because your cost of your opportunity is low financially which means you do not need to find someone to fund you or go into debt which gives you a better chance of growing your business and making money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Enrique,

    I like your focus on customer feedback because it's extremely important. One of the biggest things that they stressed in the extra credit workshop is understanding that your product is not perfect and you should always be looking for improvement. As well as pointing out the specificity of your target market. Overall really good job on the whole analysis.

    ReplyDelete