Tuesday, April 2, 2019

24A) Venture Concept EZTime


Opportunity:

I live in a big apartment complex in the Southwest area of the Gainesville and from the very beginning I moved in, I started having issues with my roommates. They are around my age and they all study full time at the University of Florida. Some time went by, and my friends started telling me about their issues with they roommates and the difficulty of keeping the place clean. Here is an analysis of common characteristics of who ended up being prospect clients:
·        Full time students at UF (some of them even work at part-time jobs, or vice versa, study part-time, work full-time)
·        Ages range between 18 and 25
·        Come from families from medium and high income
·        Share apartment with other students with similar demographics
·        Live in apartment complexes (such as Gainesville Place, the Enclave, The Ridge)
·        Do not like chores, or do not know how to do them efficiently
·        Some of them have pets that make a mess or roommates are not happy with that fact
·        In the case of guys, I often noticed that they tend to see chores and all these cleaning activities (specially for common areas) not manly and diminishing.
To clarify, I did not recognize any pattern where males were more exposed to these problems. In fact, it was a paradigm shift for me, because I found that many women have the same struggle, and in fact discussions tend to be of a greater dimension between female roommates.
After performing a series of interviews, the usual tasks that students struggle with:
·        Wash dishes
·        Vacuum
·        Take the trash out
·        Cleaning drier’s filter
·        General cleanliness
·        Bad smell in the carpet
I think this opportunity will be open for a long period of time because Gainesville is a city where students come and go (they spend about three to four years in town)

Innovation

With my business idea, I will present the solution to free student’s time, and help them reduce stress levels and arguments about house chores.
I am offering a house keeping service completely dedicated to local students in Gainesville, particularly for those sharing apartment. With a monthly fee starting at $40 per person (and up to $55 depending on the size of the apartment and the amount of people) students will be able to live in a clean place, where a person will come and clean the floor, vacuum the carpets, wash the dishes, take the trash out every week. This service can be requested for individuals (of course, it will be cheaper) or for everyone in the apartment. I plan to deliver the ultimate customer service at an affordable price, and to accomplish that, I will be considering the personal requests from our customers and learn from all the feedback. I even will offer a free trial to give my customers the opportunity to realize what are the benefits of using the services of EZTime (my company).

Venture Concept

What I will be offering is a very straight forward service, where students pay a flat monthly fee to get a person come every week to cover the needs mentioned before (wash the dishes, vacuum the carpet, etc.). I think it will be very important for my success as a company to taking specific requests into account. In order to have a high customer satisfaction and inflow of customer I will need to pay close attention to the individual demands, specially because young (mostly dependent students) are a very challenging market segment.
The most important element of my business plan will be price. After doing research, interviews, listening to suggestions, I came to the conclusion that the main reason why my prospects do not use this service is because of price. House keeping services around Gainesville charge around $65/hour which is too much for them. This is the reason why other companies have not gotten into this sector yet (it would mean to forgo a great portion of profits). The low profit margins are the reason for the lack of competitors.
To face this issue of low profit margins I have created a very cost-effective structure for my company. It will be key for me to deliver the service to people living within the same apartment complex. That way I will be able to save travel time and money.
At last but not least, the staff. I will be trying to keep the number of employees as low as possible and increasing as the business grows. It is part of the plan to keep costs low. I plan to start with myself and another person, getting paid with a percentage of each job done.

Minor elements

My most important characteristic is how I shaped my business model, to have a cost-effective structure. By targeting specific people, in specific places. By having this specific structure, I am able to deliver an outstanding service at a low price (even lower than competitors) and is the main reason why I can offer this to college students. Also, it is key to the success of my diversification plan since I will have big groups of clients in the same place.
My expansion plan is to add other services to the portfolio. The options include cleaning services to offices, a car wash and a home delivery. I think it will help me target other prospects that did not go for the initial cleaning service, but might be interested in a car wash, or other delivery services.
For the next five years I think that I would sell the business to keep going with my life, especially because I will not be living in Gainesville after I graduate. I will be in Law School and getting my MBA at the same time. After that I will start performing Corporate Law and investing in startups in the side.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Enrique. Well done on your venture concept post! You make a good concise report of what your product and business entails. I particularly think you did well on describing your business opportunity and the unmet need that consumers are facing. I found your post particularly interesting as it relates to myself as a student -I know myself and many other students have in the past or currently do experience the need. Well done and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Enrique,
    I thought you did a great job on your venture concept post and you gave a lot of valuable insight about your business idea. I agree with Jade, you did a really nice job at fleshing out a lot of detail on what exactly your business entails and how you can be the solution for the problem you have presented. I also think you have a great plan of action in the next five years and I'm sure you will be successful in anything that you choose to accomplish. Overall, wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Enrique,
    I really enjoyed reading your venture concept as you gave detailed yet very specific qualities of your service. By explaining what exactly your company will be doing for the service as a whole, you give consumers the ability to better understand how your service will help them and why they would want to use your company. I also think you did a great job of explaining your future action plan! Overall, terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that people who are college students are most likely to broke to pay the price that most competitors offer which is the 65 dollars. I for sure think that you offer your lower price and target specific needs that college students needs. I believe that if you catch this small niche of people who have don’t have money for an expensive cleaning service but have just enough to pay another college student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Enrique,

    You did an extremely detailed job of outlining your target market, it was very specific and important for the future of your company. Your research on other businesses in your market is valuable in proving why your business is filling a gap in the market. I would say that the idea of a cleaning service isn't particularly innovative though.

    ReplyDelete